COBI’s Contributions to International Conservation and Sustainable Development Goals
OBJECTIVE: To document and make public COBI’s achievements in promoting the conservation of marine biodiversity and the establishment of sustainable fisheries, in order to fulfill Mexico’s international commitments.
COBI’s four programs have been crucial to the conservation of marine biodiversity and the establishment of sustainable fisheries. Since COBI’s programs are aligned with Mexico’s international agenda, COBI is helping the country keep its promises.
In 2016, COBI drafted a technical document detailing actions that have been successful in helping to reduce the fishing sector’s negative impact on biodiversity, and have contributed to fulfilling some of the Aichi Targets and the goals included in the Strategic Plan for Biological Diversity 2011-2020.
In December 2016, Mexico hosted the COP13 Convention on Biological Diversity, and COBI was able to include its document in a catalogue of civil society organizations and their strengths created by the National Commission of Biological Knowledge. The catalogue was delivered to the Mexican Delegation during the convention, and was formally presented during the OSC Forum.
- +50% of the 20 Aichi Targets
- 90% of the Sustainable Development Objective #14
- 100% of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization’s voluntary guidelines for ensuring sustainable fishery
- OSC´s que forman parte del Comité Organizador del Foro de la Sociedad Civil de la COP
- SEMARNAT, CONABIO
- Fundaciones donatarias de COBI
- Socios comunitarios de COBI
- COP13 website
- Convention on Biological Diversity website
Oscar Vélez Ruiz Gaitán
This project is constantly evolving, and your support is key to making an impact on marine conservation and sustainable fishery. The following list details our current project needs. You can also donate directly to COBI by contacting our donations team: email@example.com. Let’s all do our part!
- Media interested in covering COBI’s contributions to international conservation and sustainable development goals.
- Donations and funding to support COBI’s contributions to international conservation and sustainable development goals.
- Volunteers with relevant knowledge, skills, or experience.
Subscribe to Newsletter